Thursday, October 3, 2019

Tropical Kingbird



Cannon Beach, October 1, 2019, 4:15pm. I was walking on E. Monroe street, near entrance to trail to Cannon Beach sewage ponds, when I saw a bird in flight that I thought might be a California Scrub-jay, a bird not often seen in Cannon Beach. But when it landed on the utility wires, I could see the yellow, and realized it was a Tropical Kingbird! (New Clatsop County bird for me, #260.)

The Tropical Kingbird then flew across the street into a tree, and caught an insect to eat there.

On OBOL, there had just been some discussion about Tropical Kingbirds vs. Couch's Kingbirds, and the difficulty of distinguishing them in the field, except by their calls. After I posted the first photo above on OBOL, Mike Patterson commented:"Note also that at least one of Diana's photos is sharp enough to compare primary lengths and P10 appears to be shorter than P5..."

My eBird report: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60272687